27 August 2011

the why I don't fly question

I heard that too. Gravity doesn't exist. Erik Verlinde, not any just scientist but a respected string theorist and professor of physics at the university of Amsterdam, says that gravity is an illusion, doesn't really exist, and the effects we usually notice during our everyday life are created as side effects somehow from the complex interaction of simpler things and powers.
Yes, it's surely complicated. This statement has put the scientific world into opposite camps. Scientists are arguing agreeing and disagreeing with the idea. Others are still skeptical wondering if Mercury is retrograde or what. And, as time passes from that cold December day of 2009 that Erik put the bomb, more and more scientists think again and discover that not only gravity doesn't exist but in fact it was something we already knew, of course.
And, then, why I don't fly? I may do so in some of my dreams but that's an other fairytale. If gravity doesn't exist, why I don't fly like superman? Why gravity works for me and not for superman? I want my own anti-gravity license and I want it now. Emmm, sorry, back to our gravity something where I hope to find the answer.
It seems that there is an anti-gravity fire lit that has to do with a specific fact. That in quantum theory there was always an uneasiness with this physical law. Most other laws go with the flow of the new physics but gravity? No. It's too old-fashioned to behave properly. So, it is a thorn in the eye of scientists who lay the perfect quantum table. Like nobody told them there is no such thing as perfection, at least in this world.
Trying to understand the whole story and its quantum branches, I realized that either I had to accept the unknown or I would have one of the greatest headaches in history. I chose the first since headaches are not one of the things I personally enjoy. So, gravity may or may not exist, we may exist in a level of cosmos where it is a possibility or a holographic kind of reality where it doesn't really have any meaning if it exists or not or it just has to change its name to something else like John. Till the next apple falls down or we start floating in the air.

No comments:

Post a Comment