22 January 2012

IDAP community and more

I recently joined IDAP (I Draw And Paint) community, which is a friendly place for people who love painting and drawing using different mediums like oils, watercolors, acrylics, charcoal, pen and anything two dimensional art can be made of.
It's a place where I feel comfortable presenting my art and looking at the art of others, both newbies and professionals, and still be able to become a friend with some of the most interesting and creative persons.  I hope this will help me keep alive and even develop my artistic life, which is not at its best right now because of too much non artistic work...
At the same time, Greek people see our lives getting tough day after day.  So, we have to survive.  This is not easy at all for some who lost not only their jobs but their homes also and the ground under their feet.  My elder daughter, who is a student at Thessaloniki university, told me that last week she was walking at a main street with her boyfriend and they saw old people trying to get warm or sleep on the benches of Aristotle square covered with coats or blankets or nothing with their body warmth.  They gave them bread and milk and heard stories of loneliness and abandonment.  Some of them lost their pensions, some other were thrown out of nursing homes that closed because of the crisis...
My younger daughter went to the camp on August 2011, where she goes every year, and she told me that she met some girls that came with an arrangement of the orphanage where they lived and the camp headship since they had no family but after a couple of months their orphanage was to be closed, because of the crisis again, and they wouldn't have anywhere to go.
This is no joke and both my daughters, as everyone else here, are growing up quicker than their age because of what they see.  I am really concerned on what will be done and how low we can go as a country when we leave unsheltered the elder and the young.  Where do our "values" go and how much time will pass till we realize that we have already hit the bottom?  This is not a real question, this is hanging over our heads and weighs on our hearts till we break this situation.

No comments:

Post a Comment